Wednesday, October 22, 2008

...a habit, like smokin' or takin' drugs.

I forgot how long lettering takes and so I spent an unanticipated five hours this afternoon hunched over my drawing board with crazy hair and pajamas. Come five o'clock, I jumped from my cozy chrome chair, straightened out my cramped back and dashed to the bathroom to slap on some beauty in a bag. I had fifteen minutes to get ready for the day, or night rather and somehow managed to pull it off, though my tights were not completely hiked up when I arrived to class (early might I add). 
The following four hours were spent hunched over the same graphite dusted drawing board. It was not a good way to begin class. I had just been doing homework for a class I was now sitting in. I did not have time to center myself before and it was as if my afternoon session never ended. Note to self (for the thousandth and sixty-seventh time): don't procrastinate. 

At this point in my life I am not sure that this is a lesson which will ever sink in. I have endured many panic attacks, and spent too many sleepless nights working on projects. The thing is, I always manage to pull it off. It is as if I subconsciously allot just enough time to push out a paper or painting or floor-plan. I drove past a sign yesterday which said something like: "A good scare is the best way to learn a lesson." So why won't I learn? 

No, actually I have learned, but this is a matter of will and of having a life filled with so many things I want to be doing at the same time. I can not say that I am irresponsible because I always turn my work in and do well. I am not lazy. I'm...just...not crazy about homework. Even if it is the kind of homework I consider to be fun. Fish is fish, homework is homework.

I spent the night next to a window, watching the sun sink down into the sound while I drafted doors: swinging doors, pocket doors, double-hinged doors, sliding doors, red doors, blue doors, me doors, you doors! As always, I enjoyed class and vowed to never again wait until the last minute to work on a project.

HA!

No comments: