
Sometimes I forget that children, human and animal alike, learn through play. When I am at work, I play and it is a job. I jump down several rungs on my educational and maturity level, shed any sort of ego and play make-believe. I accept the fact that N-'s Playmobil horses can talk and fly and that sometimes so can her people. There is no need for reason...most of the time.
My "people" (Playmobil people) were having a Halloween party in the park (which is located in the center of the cul-de-sac). G- decided that in order to enter the park, one must donate a plant of some sort for the landscaping.
Today, G- was adamant that N- had to bring her plant or she would not be able to attend the party. G- and I had already made our plants yesterday so our admission was granted. While my people were setting up for the party, N-'s little boy brought over the plant and I reminded her, "Nora, don't forget to bring a dish of something to share. It's a potluck."
At that she wrinkled her forehead and pounded her fists into her lap. "Why do I have to bring a plant and a dish? It's not fair!" Keep in mind that this is a game we are playing with inanimate plastic people. At these moments I have to hide the fact that I find the situation ridiculous and hilarious. Shrouding laughter has become one of my fortes. I mean, she was pissed that her pretend people would have to bring a tiny plate with imaginary food on it over to the park.
For the girls, this stuff is its own reality. For me, it's a game. I can not completely comprehend what the big deal is in these situations (which arise often) because I do not attach emotion to them, but with the girls it is different. Even though they know that these people do not exist, they are able to contrive complex stories for each thereby giving life to each piece of plastic. It reminds me of how an author develops a connection with his or her character(s). J.K. Rowling outed Dumbledore after she ended the series. I should be embarrassed for referencing Harry Potter.
Lessons of the day: 1. The concept of fair is oftentimes obsolete.
2. Attending a potluck comes with obligations.

No comments:
Post a Comment