
A professor once informed my class that adverbs are never to be used. Adverbs are (acutely) despicable. She (doggedly) considered them to be (utterly) superfluous. If I were to (strategically) use adverbs in a paper, she would consider my use of them to be a lame attempt at creating interesting sentences.
What has an adverb ever done to you, I wonder? Adverb, (sex being male in my opinion), has only done his best to emphasize, highlight, strengthen. He may be likened to an herb, or the cool breeze on the hill where you enjoy your wine and cheese. Let him befriend you. He is a charming companion and his bag is full of endless tricks (one that exceeds the magic of Mary Poppins' carpetbag). Just don't abuse him. He needs to take occasional breaks. We all need some space.
Dr. W-, I don't know what kind of grammatical trauma you have been through, but I think it is time you give Adverb a second chance.

No comments:
Post a Comment