Tuesday, May 10, 2011

I'm Still Growing into my Geological Skin


Last summer I was only able to hike once and the fault was my own. This year things are going to change because I ache, in fact I've been aching since last summer, to spend days in the woods. There is nothing holding me back this year. I have a handful of backpacking companions and a will to go.

I went on my first conditioning hike to Wallace Falls on Sunday which for the most part was a success. I made it to the top and woke up the next day perfectly sore. The only stitch in my day was the fact that when I was just about to the top it started to pour. For the average Washingtonian hiker a little rain is no big deal. I realized on Sunday that I'm not the average Wasingtonian hiker.

Hiking in my runners was not a problem in California. When I went on a four day backpacking trip in Mammoth I didn't get too many blisters and never rolled my ankle. I conquered Half Dome and Cloud's Rest in runners. I've also hiked in the Pacific Northwest -in the summer- in them and they served me well. So you see, I was a bit cocky. "Who needs to spend money on hiking boots? I've only hiked in my running shoes and it's always been fine," I would insist whenever the ghost of hiking boot future would haunt me. Up until Sunday morning I had never hiked in Washington in the Spring. I've learned it's a different game.

The already damp trail turned into an endless, slushy mud-pit. I tried to walk on the outside of the trail when possible, but even that didn't keep my cute little runners from sinking deeper and deeper until shoe, then sock and eventually panicked foot were wet. This happened at the top and I knew that ahead of me was a 3-mile descent through even more unavoidable puddles and slippery rocks. I had no one to grump at but sweet Maya and let's be honest, the only one who deserved to be grumped at was myself.

And so today I journeyed to REI and purchased the ugliest and quite possibly the most expensive pair of shoes I have ever purchased and I have to say... I'm really excited to try them out, but let's try to keep it hush-hush. No one likes to admit defeat.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Go conguer those hills, puddles, rocks, mountains as they are all waiting for your return. They may not be as fashionable as you like but just think, everyone else will look at those shoes and say "Now that girl knows what she is doing"
Have fun and be safe.
M