Sunday, February 21, 2010

Practical Resolutions


are successful.

My volunteer work is going really well. My coordinator keeps telling me that I'm doing a great job and have been thorough with taking notes on applicants and with asking questions. I have only encountered one hostile applicant at this point. Apparently there are more to come. I like this work for a variety of reasons. First of all, I am aware of the need for volunteers in dog rescue, especially when it comes to specific and in-demand dogs. The northwest has the highest concentration of Mini Aussie breeders in the nation. I bought my dog from a breeder two years ago and though I am conflicted with my decision and would never buy again, I feel that I lucked out with my pup. I also went into it with breed experience which many people do not. I also went into it with a naiveté in regards to buying from breeders with this particular type of dog. The return rate on Miniature Australian Shepherds is extremely high and as far as I can tell at this point, 100% are inhumane in some way or another. I wouldn't go so far as to say that all breeders are bad, but it seems that with this breed they are.

The detail-oriented work is also enjoyable. I get a laugh out of stupid people who don't know how to fill out simple applications or who do not know the difference between their, there, and they're, but that's just my pretentious side. We all make grammatical mistakes, right? Honestly, only 90% of applications come to me as complete. I spend a lot of time sending generic responses which gently tell the applicant that he or she has done a "C" job on their application. HOW HARD IS IT? You have 15 dogs...and you want another...?

I was able to join my coordinator yesterday in sending off an adopted dog. Her name was Fancy and she was a tough placement. She spent the first two years of her life in a crate, solely for breeding purposes. She had extreme social anxiety, was afraid of most humans and both of her back legs were bowed. When she was rescued two years ago she couldn't even walk. When Fancy walked into the room where her eventual adopter was, the two connected and Fancy was immediately attached. It was encouraging to see the pay-off of what I am doing.

This has been a rewarding addition to my life. Now it's time to make curry.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a very informative entry. It is so sad what people put animals through for their gain. I am so very proud of you for getting involved.
Maya & Buddy are two very lucky pups.
Love you
M