Friday, September 26, 2008

The "You will be Okay" Mantra

It felt like I was selling my soul to the Devil. "Okay, well I guess I'll do it," I said through clenched jaw. My head was spinning, I could not think clearly. My thoughts were temporal and constantly being overlapped by others. When she left her office for a moment, I could not sit any longer. I paced, panicked, walked in circles, panicked, tugged at my hair, panicked, and took pre-planned, conscious deep breaths.

I went in knowing that there was a good chance that I would be submitting an application, but when I wrote that check it felt like I was agreeing to have my feet set in concrete. It was real and it was happing too fast; I could not find my center. I think I have been thinking about going to art school for so long, I never came to a place where I was prepared to go. I wanted to go and I knew I would eventually, but it never seemed like it was real. No matter how soon I "planned" on going, it always felt like the present was never ending and the future would never come. But here it is, I am going to art school to do the only thing that excites me--the only thing that keeps me up at night (other than anxiety). I think I am realizing that this marks a different stage in my life and and I am not only going to school, but also taking a step towards a purpose and passion--the very thing that has scared me for so long. It feels serious.

As I drove away, I had a panic attack and almost died on the freeway. I was crying, and having a hard time breathing. It felt like nothing around me was real. There is no other way to say this: I am scared. What if I am wasting my finances? What if I am a poor designer? What if I can not handle a full-time job and school at the same time? What am I going to do with Maya? What if my new and thrilling social life takes a dive? What if I go to school, but can not find a job when I graduate? What if, what if, what if...? Just shut up already, voice!

I can not grant this voice victory any longer. For ten years it has persuaded me that design was not for me for a variety of reasons. It is the bad angel on my shoulder and I have grown tired of it. I know I am talented, and I believe that we have passions for a reason. I know my passion. This is why I wrote the check, and this is why in two weeks I will be sitting in a classroom again.

I am ready to finally do this, despite my trepidation and anxiety. Before work I took a walk along the water, with the one who loves me more than anyone. She loves me so much that when I go to the bathroom, she needs to come too. As I strolled I found my center. I was alone, something I have grown accustomed to, and slowly my breathing steadied and I found calm. "He can see it through the blur of water, see it shaking, coming his way like a ray of light," Cloudstreet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Again, I am so proud of you for taking this step. I know you will to well. It has been in your heart for so long to do this. And that is what has kept it alive.
You will succeed Casie. I'm alway here for you.

I love you MOM