Tuesday, July 8, 2008

"These Boots Were Made for Walking" in Autumn, Winter, Spring AND Summer.

"Windows are less important than the dignity of a building's facade." -The Fountainhead

It is interesting how this quote not only comments on a particular way of architectural thinking, but also on humanity. If only we renovated ourselves to add more windows! What would that look like? For me that is a scary thought. Sometimes I say too much. This idea that our exterior is more important than our interiors is false, but so easy to believe. Our culture is so clever when it comes to convincing us that this is the case. I am crazy about clothes and fashion so I am able to say this not as a fashion boycotter, but as an near-neutral party. How many times am I going to hear that last season's this or that is "OUT"? Screw you whomever you are. I'll wear my boots in the summer if I feel like it. 

How rare to come across a mainstream magazine page that advertises that "this season, charity and community are in." You know, if that did exist it would be pretty appalling too. It would only cheapen the ideals. These things do not even need to be advertised. They ought to be things that I aspire to out of my own will. Why then do I feel the need to perfect my facade when I spend so little time on my interior? Where are my windows? What am I letting in and what am I letting out? I heard such questions in youth group and now that I am older the answers are more elusive.

A facade suggests obstruction in contrast to a window. It conceals that which is within. Windows hide nothing. Maybe I have fewer windows than I thought. Maybe what I considered to be windows were just posters and faded graffiti cluttering my esoteric facade.

No comments: