Tuesday, June 28, 2011

She was living alone (and) happily

In the midst of meeting new guys I've discovered that I am much stronger than I originally thought. I went into this phase of my life wanting nothing more than to make friends with whom I could enjoy life, sans any sort of physicality or -shiver- love. I was insistent that this was all I was looking for, but I was fearful that I would be easily swayed and fall for the first person to show interest. I am proud to say that I am sticking to my boundaries and am honoring where I'm at right now. I'm not sure that I've fully done that in the past, or maybe I just didn't know what I wanted. This time around I am being very conscious about my process and what I want for my life. A few guys have attempted to cross the line, but I've stood my ground.

I went out with someone on Saturday and he wanted to hold my hand and brought up marriage. He and I both wear sentimental jewelry, his brother and I share a name and a birthday and he took these facts to be "signs" that we were meant to be together. AHHHH! Maybe some girls go ga-ga over that shit, but holy hell, take a breath. I'm being unfair, though he was kind of a prick. There was a time in my life when this guy and all of his romantic gestures and flirtations would have made me swoon. At this point, those sorts of things are completely wrong for me. I know this. For me to know and trust myself as much as I do is huge. This self-knowing started several months ago when I began to give myself and my emotions validity and has expanded into a time in my life when I have been uncovering amounts of self-awareness and confidence I didn't know existed. I feel more connected with myself than I have in a long time, perhaps ever.

I love the song "Romantic Rights" by Death From Above 1979, but I propose that they change the lyrics from "She was living alone, unhappily," to "She was living alone and happily." It would alter the song's meaning, but only slightly. They could still do it and start a family. In fact, someone who can live alone and happily is the kind of person I would want to start a family with anyway.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so so proud of you. You ARE and have always been a strong person. Sometimes it takes us a little longer to realize it about ourselves.
"M"