Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Time Spent Alone

I am feeling incredibly bored with life right now. In an effort to become more involved and find something interesting to invest my time in, I went to a holiday party for an organization that I'm interested in. I met with the volunteer coordinator (I used to be one eons ago) and he is my age, which makes the prospect of being a volunteer sightly more enticing. It's not that I don't enjoy the company of people who are older than me --in many ways I prefer it-- but I suppose I'm apprehensive since I haven't been in an office for 5+ years. Knowing that someone my age is doing it is somewhat reassuring. Apparently there is a ton of writing work to be done and perhaps it would be great to use my skills. It's scary, but I know that I could do it and do it well.

Something else I recently dove into is attending Bikram yoga classes. It's the most challenging yoga I have ever practiced, which makes it the most enjoyable. The room is heated to about 105 degrees and the class is an hour and half long. I think that I chose the right season to begin my practice. When it's raining and 40 degrees outside, the heat inside the room is very much welcome. This practice requires so much from my body that I can't not take care of myself during my day to day. This means that I must drink lots of water, a minimal amount of caffeine (I've switched to tea) and alcohol. I love how it demands so much from me and I can see the benefits in my skin and in my body. Plus, I sleep like I baby whenever I practice.

At least I am pushing myself to be active in the community and with my body. Hopefully the boredom and loneliness will pass. Unfortunately, I, like my father, tend to be kind of a recluse and can go days without seeing my friends. Part of me loves being alone and another part finds it lonely. When I spend too much time alone, I find it difficult to relate to people, even my friends. I have to force myself to hang out with and visit people, which is what I'm trying to do...I just wish that it came easy to me as it does for others.

No comments: