Thursday, August 4, 2011

The Best of Times: Lots of Wine and Wonderful Friends

Where do I begin? The past month has been incredibly busy and full of new people, old loves and everything in between. I've realized (again) how fantastic my friends are. Truly. They are the best of the best.

Several weeks ago, I was able to travel to Washington D.C. to visit J- and K-. I went, primarily, to help K- out. She was having a rough time and needed a friend to break up the monotony of her life and someone to help her pack. However, I'm not going to hide the fact that seeing the Harry Potter premiere with her was a major factor when deciding whether or not I was going to go. She had planned on convincing me to come for a while and informed me after I bought my plane ticket that she knew all along that I'd do it. Apparently I'm easy. We went to a few wineries, J- shared his fancy whiskey with me on the deck as the sun set (I saw fireflies for the first time!), K- and I spent time in the pool catching up and relaxing. I feel so comfortable around them and they make me laugh a ton. I love them as a couple and hope that one day I meet someone with whom I have such a connection. They have had their troubles, but always find a way to come back together. I love my friends.

I also went to a wedding a couple of weeks ago. I have decided that all of my friends must get married now so I can go to even more weddings. Dancing and being silly and sharing in the couple's joy was so much fun. I haven't danced in a while and forgot how much I enjoy it. After the wedding, J-, B-, D- and I went back to our room and had a robe party. We ordered a bottle of wine and sat around talking and laughing into the wee hours of the morning. I love my friends.

This past weekend, A- took me to a cabin for my birthday. There were four of us and it was relaxing and lovely to be in the woods. I think I could live in the woods and be truly happy...with the right person. We hiked to some natural hot springs on Monday and since I forgot socks, I had to hike in my sandals. Last week, A- asked me why I am vegan and when I told him my stock answer (Because I want to cause the least amount of suffering possible, and it makes sense for me), he teased me by saying, "Okay, Jesus!" Hiking in my sandals only proves it. Obviously. Anyway, we also spent time around a fire, in the hot tub, and playing games and drinking wine (naturally). I love my friends.

This upcoming weekend marks the final weekend of travel for me. I'm going to the coast with E-, and I'm slightly anxious about it. I've already made it very clear to him that I don't want to be anything more than platonic friends, and I'm pretty certain that he understands and will respect my boundaries, but he has sent me a few flirty text messages since our conversation. Maybe he's just joking around, but it makes me wonder if he's holding out hope. I really wish I didn't have this anxiety hanging over my head because the trip could be a lot of fun. He's bringing his surfboard and I can't wait to walk in the sand and read in the sun. Ugh. Male-female friendships are tricky, I'm coming to find. I kind of wish one of my girlfriends could come along.

Sorry this entry has been so bland and "Dear Diary." You didn't have to read it, though!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's not bland and I will read ALL that you post.
M

Anonymous said...

It's not bland and I will read ALL that you post.
M