Thursday, June 3, 2010

This is what I did this weekend. I'm jealous of me.


Shabazz Palaces


Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros


Broken Social Scene


LCD Soundsystem


Pavement


Japandroids


No Age


Camera Obscura


MGMT


Ween


And these are just the highlights. Others include when someone fell through the roof of a Porta-John; when J-, A- and I met three friendly people from San Francisco; and when we hung out in a dome (erected just for the weekend by festival goers [the kind one would find on a playground] with...people. This year was as fun as last year, and even more so in retrospect. J- and I didn't party (what else do I call it?) as much as everyone else. I guess we're getting old. We arrived at 1:30 A.M. on Friday night, put the tent up and went to bed around 3. At 4 there were cars driving around and I remember a guy honking and yelling, "Get the fuuuck up! It's the first night! Get outta your tents! Come on!" It sort of quieted down around 6 A.M., per usual.

J- and I met up with his friend and his friend's friend on Saturday. Generalization that I am willing to scribble into cyber-space: boys are easier to hang out with than women. I was terrified of guys when I was in high-school. I should have been terrified of women.

Broken Social Scene played that day and it was perfect. They were magic and I feel lucky to have seen them perform live. J-, A- and I hung out that night -the only night that we "walked around"- and had a great time. One night of that was enough for me.

The best shows this weekend were: Broken Social Scene, MGMT, LCD, The Tallest Man on Earth, and Japandroids. It was a mix of perfect mood music, fun dance music, loud rock music and everything was encompassing. I don't know how to not sound trite, but god it's a fun and inspiring experience!

Prepare to decode.
I realized this weekend that I am a dirty, rotten music snob. And so we must go back in time...

MGMT is playing "The Handshake." A drunk girl, DG, is telling her friend what the title of the song is.

DG: "I think this song is called 'Horses,' or has horses in it. But I'm sure there are horses somewhere in it." She points to his shirt, on which there are two majestic, galloping horses from the 90s.

Drunk Girl's Friend, DGF: "Are you sure?" He looks over at me and shakes his head.

Me (bitch), MB: "It's not."

Drunk Bro, DB, to DGF and DG: "This is off their new album, isn't it?"

MB to DGF and DB: "No it's not..."

They gabbed throughout most of the show about taking Molly, marrying a stranger at the campsite the night before ("It was done by a legit minister"), and about how they could use Vodka to chase Captain Morgan. To be fair, there have been many times when I was a rambling drunkard, but good heavens, I don't understand why one would go to a music festival and not listen to the fucking music! They only showed excitement when the radio-hits were played. I was indignant. J- was furious, especially with DB (partly because he tried to make a move on me), and nearly created a scene with DB. Luckily, DB was too drunk to notice that J-was mocking him and not partying with him.

I am a bad person. Judge me all you want, secret reader.

I'm tired of typing so I will end on this note: I think that all faithful listeners of The End should be banned from Sasquatch. The End...I mean...dammit.



Can't wait for year three!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love reading your writings MB
MB-M

Marie said...

Darling M-,

You are my biggest fan and I love you so!

MB, or rather, CB to you.